A keto spin of the popular comfort food!
When I’ve first started my low carb/keto eating plan, one of the first things that I’ve missed was macaroni and cheese. I had to give up both gluten and gluten free pasta because of the amount of carbs per serving. I’ve first tried cauliflower mac and cheese, which is absolutely delicious! However, I still missed pasta.
Enter Shirataki Noodles
When I first heard about shirataki noodles, I was so ecstatic! I’ve finally had the chance to eat pasta again. I nearly cried of joy when I saw the Miracle Noodle brand’s shirataki ziti noodles! This was my chance to finally have actual pasta noodles. And it did not disappoint.
Shirataki are Japanese noodles made from the konjac yam. It’s low in carbs and calories and the noodles will absorb whichever sauce you decide to make. Here’s the recipe for my version of Keto Mac & Cheese:
Here’s some quick tips:
- Rinse the noodles before using as directed. It does have a fishy smell, but rinsing the noodles will eliminate the smell.
- Season, season, season! If you don’t add seasoning to the noodles, then it will taste bland.
- Do not overcook your noodles. The noodles will have a rubbery taste.
- Use turmeric to change the color of the noodles. I usually add it before the water boils.
- The serving size is about 2.5 servings. It is possible to use the entire package as a meal. I personally don’t and actually eat just one serving and save the rest for the next day.
Where to Find Ziti Shirataki Noodles
You can purchase the Miracle Noodles on the following sites:
Miracle Noodle website: (https://miraclenoodle.com/collections/allv/products/ziti)
Kroger Ship: (https://www.kroger.com/p/miracle-noodle-pasta-shirataki-miracle-noodle-ziti-7-oz-case-of-6/1085323700321?&cid=shp_adw_shopg_.kroger_g_pla_shop_eng_evgn_ship_pantry&gclid=Cj0KCQjwna2FBhDPARIsACAEc_Vpa7q587TCHS0mKAJu9dNA-U0fRXUSrp1FeyL7G8R8ykpF2aSdd50aAqUJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Have you used shirataki noodles? Drop a comment below and share your experience!
Until Next Time,
The Genetic Diabetic